A retrospective look at locomotive manufacturing in Munich
A short résumé of the eventful history of locomotive building in Munich.
1841 – The Münchener
Locomotives have been built in Munich since 1838. In 1841, J. A. Maffei delivers his first locomotive, which bears the name "Der Münchener." By 1864 the total number of locomotives delivered reaches already 500, and the year 1900 sees the delivery of the two-thousandth locomotive
1867 – The Landwührden
The second locomotive factory in Munich, founded by G. Krauss, began building locomotives in 1867. Its first locomotive was named "Die Landwührden." One thousand locomotives have been delivered by 1882, and the 8,000-locomotive mark is reached in 1923.
1908 – The Bavarian S3/6
To many experts, the Bavarian S3/6 is the most beautiful steam locomotive ever built in Germany. Originating at the Maffei factory, the first locomotive leaves the production hall in 1908.
1913 – New plant in Munich-Allach
In 1913, Krauss begins planning a new plant in Munich-Allach. The first building phase is completed in 1922.
1935 – Relocation to Allach
In 1931, Krauss takes over Maffei’s locomotive-building business and becomes Lokomotivfabrik Krauss&Comp. – J.A. Maffei AG. The relocation to Allach is completed by 1935, and construction of the new plant is largely complete two years later. In the following decades, locomotives are delivered all over the world from what is now the only locomotive plant in Munich.
1935 – First large diesel-hydraulic locomotive V140
In 1935, the first diesel-hydraulic mainline locomotive leaves the workshops. The V140 is the first application of hydraulic power transmission in the power range above 1,000 kW. The design of the V140 pointed the way toward the future development of diesel locomotives.
1953 – V200 mainline locomotive
The class V200 is one of the first mainline diesel locomotives from the new Deutsche Bundesbahn locomotive program. Built in 1953, its appearance reflects the typical industrial designs of the 1950s.
1957 – The E10 series
Series production begins after the construction of five pilot-series locomotives based on a design by Siemens for the electrical portion and Krauss-Maffei for the mechanical portion. Delivery of the first locomotives is in 1957. The E10 is the first model of the family of standard Deutsche Bundesbahn locomotives. The last locomotive in the family of standard locomotives based on the E10 is delivered in 1984.
1989 – The first ICE 1 power car
On September 26, 1989, the first ICE 1 power car for Deutsche Bahn is rolled out in Munich. Construction of the coach body shell and the assembly of the power cars are carried out by a consortium of the German rail industry. The ICE 1 is the first high-speed train to be produced in series in Germany.
1990 – The beginning of a closer collaboration
At the beginning of the 1990s, collaboration begins between Krauss-Maffei and Siemens that will ultimately lead to the folding of Krauss-Maffei’s locomotive business into Siemens AG. You can find the details of this collaboration here: