AC traction power supply
As the need for mobility increases, more efficient transport concepts are needed. By electrifying, automating, and digitalizing infrastructures, we’re already setting the benchmarks for future mobility. As one of the world’s leading suppliers of electrotechnical systems, Siemens is the right partner for your AC traction power supply in main-line and regional rail service – from consulting and planning to project implementation, commissioning, and worldwide service. With Siemens, you can rely on highly available and reliable systems and low life-cycle costs.
AC traction power supply – perfectly planned, perfectly implementedOur comprehensive product family provides you with an optimal solution for every task related to your AC traction power supply. Whether it is high-voltage switchgear, protection technology, or converters, you’re guaranteed consistently outstanding quality with seamlessly coordinated components. You’ll benefit by saving resources in the planning and operation of your AC traction power supply – right from the start.
Future-proof AC traction power supply: The system and its components
High-voltage switchgear for AC traction power supply
Our portfolio includes outdoor air-insulated switching devices as well as indoor gas-insulated switchgear for connection to transmission networks. No matter which nominal voltage level is available or which substation layout you prefer: We offer a tailored solution meeting your needs.
Traction power transformers for AC traction power supply
In contrast to conventional transmission or distribution networks, traction power transformers typically feed 1-pole traction power supply systems with nominal phase-to-earth voltage of 15 kV or 25 kV. These are typically built as oil-immersed transformers with air-natural or air-forced cooling with a nominal power between 5 to 85 MVA. Similarly, so called auto-transformers are used for 2-pole traction power supply systems for supplying high-speed or high-performance routes.
Reliable fault clearanceIndoor gas-insulated, indoor air-insulated or outdoor air-insulated: You can rely on our medium-voltage switchgear and components for supplying the overhead contact line and ensuring reliable and fast fault clearance with minimum wear.
Sitras 8DA11/8DA12 gas-insulated indoor switchgear for AC traction power supply
The Sitras 8DA11 (1-pole) and Sitras 8DA12 (2-pole) gas-insulated switchgears are used for feeding the overhead contact line in AC traction power supply systems. The design is based on the proven 3-pole type of the 8DA10/8DB10 switchgear for distribution network operators and industrial plants.
- Maximum safety for personnel and equipment proven by extensive type testing
- Reduced risk of internal arc faults due to single-pole enclosure
- Highest availability due to very low failure rate
- Modular design for flexible adaptation to a wide range of requirements:
– Cable connection from bottom, rear, top or even lateral
– Up to fire busbars
- Cost-effective: maintenance-free and with minimum space requirements
- Vacuum circuit-breaker by switching in vacuum:
– No toxic substances created by arcs in SF6
– No impairment of SF6 insulating properties
Sitras ASG15 air-insulated indoor switchgear 15 kV for AC traction power supply
The Sitras ASG15 metal-enclosed air-insulated switchgear ensures secure and reliable traction power supply for single-pole systems with nominal frequency
16.7 Hz and nominal voltage 15 kV. The type-tested compact switchgear panels meet all of today’s requirements made to powerful AC traction power supply equipment.
- Highest equipment and personnel safety
− Metallic partition of compartments
− Service continuity class LSC2B
− Internal arc classification
- Factory-assembled and compact
− Panel-integrated control and protection devices
− Integrated feeder-related contact-line testing device (AGP)
− 40 kA circuit-breaker with only one vacuum interrupter
- High system availability but low life cycle costs
− Use of low-maintenance components
− Use of a circuit-breaker truck
Sitras ASG25 air-insulated indoor switchgear 25 kV for AC traction power supply
The Sitras ASG25® air-insulated switchgear is intended for use in 1- and 2-pole
AC traction power supply systems. It is a type-tested, metal-enclosed switchgear for indoor installation. The general concept of the Sitras ASG25 is based on a proven technology offering high reliability and availability. It provides long lifetime, high number of operating cycles, long lasting insulation properties and low life-cycle costs.
- High personnel safety
- High fire safety
- Environment-friendly design
- Low life-cycle costs
- High availability
- Fast and easy replacement of the vacuum circuit-breaker by use of tulip contacts
3AH47 indoor vacuum circuit-breakers for AC traction power supply
3AH47-type vacuum circuit-breakers are 1-pole or 2-pole circuit-breakers for indoor applications. They’re ideal for the special requirements and switching tasks in
AC traction power supply systems.
- Proven vacuum switching technology
- Maximum operating safety thanks to:
− Rated short-circuit breaking current of up to 40 kA by use of only one
− Option: Opening time of only 17 ms
- Up to 30 000 switching cycles before major maintenance
- Maintenance-free for up to 10 000 operating cycles
- Compact design
7ST61/7ST63 numerical overhead contact-line protection for AC traction power supply
The SIPROTEC 7ST61/7ST63 numerical overhead contact-line protection relay is a selective and fast-responding protection device for overhead contact lines fed from one or multiple points in AC traction power supply systems. The relay has all the functions needed to protect a section of the overhead contact line and can therefore be deployed universally.
- Integrates protection, control, measurement, and automation functions in a
- Shortest tripping time thanks to adaptive protection algorithms
- Efficient operation thanks to a universal tool for all tasks
- Adapted to different modes thanks to parameter-set switchover
- Flexible availability of all standard communication protocols
Sitras SFC plus static frequency converters for AC traction power supply
Sitras SFC plus-type static frequency converters supply single-phase traction power networks from three-phase networks.
- Innovative multilevel traction converter concept reduces
– Noise emissions
– Space requirements
– Maintenance effort
- High degree of efficiency over the entire operating range for optimized use of primary energy
- Excellent availability thanks to the option for redundancy in the converter power circuit
- Modular converter ensures ideal adaptation to customer requirements
- Universal application for central and decentralized traction power supply systems
Mobile Sitras RVC plus for AC traction power supply
In order to minimize feedback to the public grid and improve voltage quality in single-phase traction power networks, we offer you an active and mobile reactive-power compensation system based on voltage-sourced converter technology.
- The innovative multilevel converter concept ensures
– Compact design in the 40-foot-high cube standard container
– Connection of the converter to the contact line without a heavy transformer
– High availability thanks to redundancy in the converter power circuit
– Low losses over the entire operating range
- Alternative auxiliary power supply via the contact line or an external 400-V
3-phase AC network
- Option for automatic or remote control operation
- Control of contact line voltage by means of capacitive and inductive reactive
power within performance limits
Sitras RAB plus active balancer for AC traction power supply
The active balancer helps you prevent asymmetries in the public three-phase grid when high levels of single-phase power are drawn for the traction power supply. Thanks to multilevel technology, it compensates for the reactive power of the rail system and produces an extremely small amount of feedback to the grid.
- Minimized engineering effort thanks to standardized component design
- Can be used for 1-phase 25-kV and autotransformer systems
- The innovative, modular, multilevel-technology enables:
– Compact containerized design
– Low space requirements
– Low noise emissions
– Low losses over the entire operating range thanks to low switching frequency
– High EMC
Optimize mobility – with the AC traction power supply
AC traction power supply in main-line and regional rail service – from consulting and planning to project implementation, commissioning, and worldwide service: With Siemens, you can rely on highly available and reliable systems and low life-cycle costs.