Intelligently digitalized roads
Intelligent digitalization of road networks is of critical importance for economic growth and quality of life. This is why Siemens has developed the Sitraffic Vehicle2x technology - a secure, cooperative technology for communication between all kinds of vehicles and the infrastructure. Vehicle2x is part of the growing “Internet of Things”. Road Side Units provide key data for a more precise picture of the current traffic situation, enabling more efficient traffic control, a significant reduction in accident numbers and an even greater cut in emissions than possible up to now.
The future is connectedThere are many places where the routes taken by road vehicles intersect with those of other means of transport such as trains, ships and even airplanes (on the airfield). Our vision of the future transport includes constant communication between all road elements in an Internet of Things.
Vehicle2x - The intelligent system for communication between road vehicles and infrastructure
When it comes to communication, Car2x is the solution: Siemens’ cooperative traffic management system allows vehicles to connect with the infrastructure and the traffic control centers. The Road Side Unit (RSU) provides the vehicles directly with time-critical data such as SPAT (Signal Phase and Timing) while non-time-critical information such as IVI (In Vehicle Information) is transmitted from the cooperative ESCoS-CMS traffic management center via LTE to the cars. The result: more effective prevention of congestion and accidents and a stronger reduction in pollutant emissions – essential factors for cities and other municipalities aiming to improve quality of life and boost economic growth.
Car2x – this is how the smart technology works
- The infrastructure components are equipped with Sitraffic ESCoS RSU technology
- The cars use the RSU’s GPS and their own Car2x onboard units to continuously report their position, speed and direction of travel
- The traffic management system transmits traffic information, traffic restrictions and hazard warnings
- The control center uses the available Car2x information for more efficient traffic control and guidance
The innovative field device for Vehicle2x and Car2x
The technological heart of Vehicle2X consists in the cooperative control center Sitraffic ESCoS CMS and the field device Sitraffic ESCoS RSU for establishing the connection. Sitraffic CMS has been designed to integrate the complex structures of urban and interurban traffic control centers and parking guidance systems. Developed to communicate via WiFi 802.11p and LTE-V2x with any vehicles equipped with this standard, Sitraffic RSU is a perfect fit for urban road networks and motorways alike.
- Integration of all required international V2x communication standards
- High security standards incl. PKI handling via ESCoS CMS
- Open interfaces to communicate with controllers via standard connections
- Defined security concept for maintenance purposes
- Spare interfaces for future connection of innovative technologies such as LTE5G
- Full hardware and software compatibility with all Vehicle2x solutions
- Deployment as stand-alone or integrated solution
- Complete integration in the Sitraffic system landscape possible via link-up to ESCoS CMS and Sitraffic Cxx
- Full compliance with EU and US standards
- Easy installation
- Modular concept enables the creation of project-specific solutions and facilitates adaptation to future requirements
- Multi-purpose mounting system
- Very accurate positioning performance
Sitraffic ESCoS-Vehicle2x. Benefits and highlights
- Improves road safety and reduces accident numbers
- Optimizes the flow of traffic, minimizing congestion and stop-and-go traffic
- Shortens travel times
- Helps reduce traffic-related emissions
- Boosts your municipality’s image by positioning it as a sustainable “green city”
- Contributes to lasting improvements in the quality of life across entire conurbations
- Vehicle2x infrastructure supports automated and autonomous driving