Our advanced road pricing technology for intelligent demand management: the basis for future mobility
With intelligent demand management on interurban roads as well as in urban areas, both operators and road users benefit from less congestion and improved air quality.
Dynamic approaches complement classic tolling solutions
In addition to the classic systems for static truck and car tolling, flexible approaches in terms of tariff schemes and end-user devices are gaining popularity. Charging different amounts depending on time of day, air quality or traffic situations can set incentives for more environmentally friendly and capacity-oriented traffic behavior. Utilization of smartphones, video and On-Board Units (OBUs) offer convenient charging procedures for the end user.
Solutions for city, regional and national charging schemes
Traffic reduction and control in cities: Congestion charging
A city tolling system charges motorized vehicles for entering the city area or distance-based for traveling within the city area. This creates incentives to relieve the road network of individual traffic and shift mobility to more sustainable modes of transport.
- Individual tariffs depending on vehicle class, size and emissions
- Toll collection with intelligent app- and video-based technologies in full compliance with data protection requirements
- Dynamic charges for effective traffic management in critical situations (e.g. expected exceedance of pollution limits) or demand peaks
National tolling schemes: Open Road Tolling
Intelligent tolling allows efficient control of road usage according to travel demands. Tolling solutions for national road networks are typically based on a GNSS system, which enables precise recording of the actual distance travelled.
- Flexible On-Board Units (OBUs) use several satellite positioning systems (Galileo, GPS, Glonass, Baidu) for precise charging
- The tolling area can be easily expanded
- Intelligent device management system including "Over the Air" device updates
- Alternatively or additionally, smartphone apps can also be used for toll collection
Tolling according to vehicle occupancy: Fast-Lane
Carpooling can relieve road traffic enormously by combining the journeys of two or more persons. In reality, however, vehicles are mostly occupied by one person, only. A charging scheme that considers vehicle occupancy creates incentives for the joint use of vehicles: the higher the vehicle occupancy, the lower the charge. With high-occupancy tolling (HOT), drivers can use a preferred lane ("fast lane"), for which a usage fee is calculated based on vehicle occupancy, or stay in the lane with higher traffic volume at no additional cost. This concept is well received by road users.
- An ANPR camera detects the vehicle number plate and assigns it to the respective occupation level
- An intelligent algorithm dynamically calculates the toll for the HOT lane taking into account vehicle occupancy, traffic density and minimum speed
With our enforcement solutions, cities and transport operators can increase traffic safety and enforce tolling regulations. At the same time, traffic jams and emissions are reduced - for a more livable city.
Manage traffic volume and relieve your road network with intelligent tolling solutions
Benefit from over two decades of experience in the successful implementation and smooth operation of tolling systems and benefit from complete tolling solutions from design and installation to the service and operation of road and IT systems.