Our advanced tolling technology for intelligent demand management: the basis for future mobility
With tolling technologies on interurban roads as well as in urban areas, both operators and road users benefit from less congestion and improved air quality.
Dynamic approaches complement classic tolling solutions
In addition to the classic systems for truck and car tolling, there are more and more flexible approaches in which both different devices and different features can be used for toll collection. This enables tolling to be controlled dynamically and designed differently for different groups of people or different zones in and around a city (city tolls, environmental zones). In this way, traffic managers can set incentives for more environmentally friendly and capacity-oriented traffic behavior.
Solutions for city, regional and national charging schemes
Traffic reduction and control in cities: Congestion charging
With the city toll, a charge is collected when motorized vehicles enter the city area. This creates incentives to relieve the roads of car traffic and shift people to more sustainable modes of transport.
- Individual charges depending on vehicle class, size and emissions
- Toll collection with intelligent app- and video-based technologies in full compliance with data protection requirements
- Dynamic charges for targeted traffic control in critical situations (e.g. expected exceedance of pollution limits) or peak demand
National tolling schemes: Open Road Tolling
Intelligent tolling allows efficient control of road use according to the demand. Tolling solutions for the national road network are typically based on a GNSS system, which enables precise recording of the actual distance travelled.
- Flexible On-Board Units (OBUs) can use several satellite positioning systems (Galileo, GPS, Glonass, Baidu), so the tolling area can be easily expanded
- Updating the devices "Over the Air" with an intelligent management system
- Alternatively or additionally, smartphone apps can also be used for toll collection
Tolling according to vehicle occupancy: Fast-Lane
Carpooling can relieve road traffic enormously by combining the same journeys of two or more persons. In most cases, however, vehicles are only occupied by one person. A tolling system that takes vehicle occupancy into account creates incentives for the joint use of vehicles: the higher the vehicle occupancy, the lower the charge. With high-occupancy tolling (HOT), drivers can either use a preferred faster lane ("fast lane"), where the toll fee is calculated based on vehicle occupancy or stay in the lane with higher traffic volume at no additional cost. As this concept also reduces travel time, it is also well received by road users.
- An ANPR camera detects the vehicle number plate and assigns it to the respective occupation level.
- An intelligent algorithm dynamically calculates the toll for the HOT lane taking into account vehicle occupancy, traffic density and minimum speed.
With our enforcement solutions, cities and transport operators can increase traffic safety and enforce tolling regulations. At the same time, traffic jams and emissions are reduced - for a more livable city.
Manage traffic volume and relieve your road network with intelligent tolling solutions
Benefit from over two decades of experience in the successful implementation and smooth operation of tolling systems and benefit from complete tolling solutions from design and installation to the service and operation of road and IT systems.