ST950 Intersection Controller
Building on the company’s unrivalled 70 year traffic engineering heritage and over 30 years’ experience of microprocessor-based traffic controller design, the brand new ST950 traffic controller represents the very latest in a long line of proven and highly successful traffic controllers designed and built in the UK by Siemens.
The controller family is fully compatible with the whole range of Siemens street-furniture, including Helios CLS LED traffic signals, LED nearside signals and LED wait indicators, providing Intersection, Pelican, Puffin and Toucan methods of control at both LV (230V) and ELV (48V, 42V and 40V) output drive levels which all offer significant power and cost savings compared with conventional incandescent solutions.
To simplify user interaction with the controllwe, the ST950 provides an extensive web browser interface which is accessible either locally or remotely. Offering a consistent look and feel with the free standing Gemini UTMC OTU, this interface is able to be accessed locally via a USB port on the controller, remotely via Ethernet or using a simple plug-in Wi-Fi interface module.
Many hardware components are common with ST900 allowing cost effective upgrades to ST950. With ELV, the ST950 offers increased electrical safety for members of the public in the event of damage to the signal installation and personnel working on or around the intersection. Reduced power and cabling costs, and highly reliable lamp monitoring of very low power LED traffic and pedestrian signals, makes the ST950 the new benchmark for intersection control.
To deliver these benefits, the ST950 ELV incorporates many unique design features including the use of a fully rectified ELV supply, active short circuit protection and residual current quench on all outputs, as well as an intelligent lamp switch card system.
A summary of features includes:
- Fully integrated UTMC OTU and MOVA 7 functionality
- Easy to use web based user interface
- Mulit-language capability
- Local and remote user access
- 230V and ELV (48V, 42V and 40V) lamp drive systems
- Up to 32 phases, 32 stages and 8 independent streams
- Up to 240 digital input/output lines
- Integral lamp monitoring of all phases and signal colours
- Modular construction - available in an outercase or as a 19 inch, 6U rack
- Simple installation - easily retro-fitted to existing controller cabinets.
- Dual processor safety system and separate 'applications' processor
- Multi-mode operation including advanced 'ripple' stage change algorithm
- Supports configuration changes with signals on
- Fully approved to UK Highways Agency specification TR2500 and TR2513
Enhanced safety features
Two independent microprocessors and comprehensive hardware self-check features ensure a high level of controller safety. All phase output colours are provided with dual-channel voltage monitoring, allowing the controller to be configured to perform green-green, green-yellow and green-red/yellow conflict monitoring.
In addition the controller offers in-built lamp monitoring sensors to allow a wide range of tungsten halogen, tungsten filament and LED-based signals to be monitored for failure. For UK applications, conflicts or other major failures result in the signals being extinguished in a failsafe manner.
For non-UK use, the controller has an option to feature a built-in fail flash system. This offers selectable 'off' or flash red/yellow for each phase, with programmable mark/space and flash rate.