OverviewWith the median population in its mid-twenties, Egypt is actively looking for opportunities to support its growing nation and to become one of the world’s top 30 economies. To achieve this goal, Egypt is investing in a high-speed, electrified mainline and freight rail network.
Safely connecting people and goods across Egypt
To keep Egypt moving, the new reliable and sustainable rail system will provide efficient and safe transportation for people and goods across the country. The more-than-1,800km-long, state-of-the-art rail network will connect the country’s economic and development hotspots.
The first part of the major network will be 660km of track connecting the port cities of Ain Sokhna on the Red Sea to Alexandria and Marsa Matrouh on the Mediterranean. The new line will:
- Provide access to safe, clean and affordable transportation for more than 30 million passengers a year
- Save passengers up to 50 percent on travel time
- Offer an attractive, electrified commuter system for Greater Cairo
- Cut carbon and reduce air emissions by more than 70 percent compared to car or bus traffic
- Ensure faster delivery of goods thanks to creating a rail link from the Red Sea to the Mediterranean
- Positively impact the economy and increase the quality of life for the people in Egypt